Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Reflection

This class has been a journey for me. At first I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had no prior knowledge about grants or the process of how it all goes. I will say though that it was a true awakening.

For my first project it was nice to be able to get to know the history or what I like to call the "required dirt" that would be needed for future projects as the class progressed. However, this is where I ran into a roadblock.

Actually... this is where I ran into a series of roadblocks.

From project one and after getting a better understanding of both myself and what I was actually doing for this class... I switched over to another organization. I know things like this happens, but it also means that while you are stepping forward, you are also taking about 10 steps backwards. For students of the future I would recommend that if this happens to you, rise to the challenge and be prepared to look up the information that you WILL need to complete your projects that will follow. It isn't hard, but it does mean become equipped with both patience and time. In the process don't forget to breathe!

From stepping away from project two, I found myself pleased with the extra effort that was put into it. Of course my favorite part was putting together a visual to represent my fundraiser, but there was a lot of time and consideration put into how it all came together.

Next, comes the big whammy (Which is still in progress at the moment), project three... our grant. I did another organization jump here. Crazy, huh? I did it though. I have been blessed with the opportunity to try on a real hat instead of a fake one. I have teamed up to help my sister-in-law and having her project request a grant through the Target company. It has been both interesting and more of a personal project to me. Of course this is my first chance of attempting to do this, but I have learned through guest speakers in class that first timers can be failure... so I am not expecting the moon out of this project, but I am sponging away from it the ultimate experience.

This is what I think...

This class truly is about trying to figure out if this is something you could see yourself doing. You will figure yourself out along the way. It is also about taking the time to rise and overcome your challenges that you embark on after day 1 of class. This isn't going to be a cake walk and no future student should think that. I would advise people to think locally and to think small. The bigger you think... well, it isn't bad, but it will be highly challenging and can be unsatisfactory. Make sure you read your book... there are so many little things and tips and tricks of the trade that will assist you. Especially when it comes to making a gift chart in project two. I also would advise future students to think about something the is "REAL". If you can find something that is real then this will feel real and therefore the overall process could be a real opportunity for you.

Overall...

This has been an experience that I am glad to have under my belt. As the semester is coming to an end I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. So the question is... Is grant writing an option for me? AND my answer is... I cannot say yes... I also... cannot say no. However, as a writer it is nice to know that this is a field that I can consider as a backup plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment